Thursday, March 25, 2010

Book Review: The Vast Fields of Ordinary


2009 was not a big year for me in the reading department. Outside of blogs and online newspapers, I did not do much reading. But there was one novel that I picked up due to it being covered in Out.com.

Nick Burd's Vast Fields of Ordinary" is a light-hearted young adult novel for readers 12 and up, where high school senior Dade spends a good majority of the summer after his graduation either high or drunk in attempt to save himself from his mundane suburban life as the only gay teenager in his neighborhood, nothing like my own experience in the last year of high school, but non the less it was a great read.

By the end of the story, he finds out that there are greater experiences to be had outside of is small Midwestern town when he moves away to college. We all know that, but we most likely did not go through as many ups and downs finding out.

Read my entire review of the novel here.

No comments: