Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I Remember Where I Was


We have all been bombarded with remberances of terrible day when several sub human beings thought that they would smart enough to destroy the infastructure of our nation.

Of course I am talking about the the events that accord on 9/11/01.

I had been off active duty from the US Army for seven months and had almost adjusted to being a civilian again. I was a full time student attending the University of Cincinnati's Economics program and an active member on Pi Kappa Alpha.

Though mostly adjusted to not wearing BDU's every day from dusk till dawn, the military life had not completely left my routine. I was enrolled in R.O.T.C. classes at UC and was in the Ohio National Guard.

the day that will be permantly engraved in my mind's eye, I was working as a student employee in UC's Veterans Affairs office. A co-worker came in just after 9am and said to me the following, "A plane just flew into the World Trade Center."

No bells or whistles went off in my had at that time. I had immediately shrugged him off and thought him to be kidding. I retorted mockingly with "How can that be?" I rolled my eyes and sucked my teeth and continued with, "There is not a run-way in the middle of New York."

After a brief explanation, all in the office were immediately glued to the big screen television on the first floor of One Edwards Place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was across campus watching the second plane it live via the Today Show. I had just been at the Towers a few days before that, on my first trip to NYC. I was supposed to be there on 9/11 - but I'd changed my vacation plans to join a friend at her cottage on the coast at Point Judith RI.

I didn't know you worked on campus.