Sunday, December 03, 2006

What happened to MTV?

I am sitting infront of the television on a Sunday morning. I am the only one awake in the house so I decided to watch a bit of MTV. A smile appears on my face because two of my favorite shoes that I used to watch regularly were on back to back. Making the Video and Real World.

I was not impressed.

The episode of making the video followed Beyonce on the video shoot of 'Listen' from the movie Dream Girls, which I am really excited to see. Though Beyonce's voice is amazing and her stage presence is awesome, the video could have been more exciting. One scene, one costume change, one person and shots from the movie were not enough to pull off this movie promo.

On to the Real World. As most of you have read on 'The Right Side...' I have been a fan of The Real World since its first season in New York in 1990. I religiously followed each season until they ventured to Miami. Because of my stint in the US Army, my RW homage was deterred a bit, but I still knew the plots and characters of each season.

This morning, they are airing the first episode of RW:Colorado, which I have never scene before. The kids are boring, lifeless and have little life experience. The all are college students, so their view on life is a bit naive and sheltered. One girls said that she was not used to living in a place like this because she is living in a 3 bedroom Condo with her mom and sister. You have got to be kidding me. Of cause, there are two educated African American males on the season so I guess I can at least watch this episode,

Thinking about it, what was I supposed to expect. Why should I presume the MTV would changed its target audience to suit my entertainment needs. The reason why I watched shows like RW was because I wanted to see life outside of Covington, KY. I wanted to learn about people who have different viewpoints to myself. I have already lived the life of those personified on this reality show. I think its time for me to move on.

OK...
My sentimental awakening has just been confirmed. I have now surpassed the first episode filled with introductions. Within that first episode, that was, in reality, a span of about 12hours, two woman have made out with each other, I learned that one of the African American males has 'homophobic tendencies' and the other is going to be personified as an aggressively hot headed Terrell Owens. Not good.

The token gay person is present...He is a Southern Baptist.

The gay is sharing a room with the homophobic...it may be a bit better than I expected.

No comments: