Monday, March 12, 2007

Hocking Hills: A Recap



I have to say, if you ever just want to take a small weekend getaway without spending too much money but still want to be close to nature (with out the risk of being attacked by a one legged Wilda beast) Hocking Hills is definitely the place to vacation. Littered with hot tub furnished cabins and miles and miles of trails to hike through the woods, Hocking Hills was WONDERFUL!

We left early Friday afternoon. Taking the scenic route via Route 50 east from Cincinnati, we traveled trough several small towns. Living in the "big city", you sometimes forget that most of America is farmland, and that's just what we saw as we traveled.

It wasn't until we turned into the small town of Hocking Hills that we were transported to, what seemed to be, another dimension. Filled with hemlocks and sycamore trees, inter laced with each other, the frozen water still trailed down the several story cliffs that encased the winding road as we drove. I was in awe. I guess to people who live in this area all of their lives, this sight is nothing, but to me, I was in another world.

Several minutes later, we came to Hocking Hills Resort and it was only another few moments that we were checked in to our two story cabin and had already christened the hot tub!

After a 15min Hot tube break, we got our walking show on and took the dogs on a hike. Our first destination, Ash Cave. Now, my idea of a cave and what we experienced were two totally different things. I thought caves to be dark, bat-filled holes in the ground. Ash Cave was far from that. If was more like a wall with a slight indentation. When I saw wall, I do not mean a 15ft wall, I mean a 4 story tall wall with ice still hanging from the top. Thought the "hike" was only about 10 minutes, it again took me away from reality.

Not much more to say we did after the hike. We cooked a fabulous dinner in the cabin and fell asleep. The next morning was a total waste of a day. i thought I would be sike to go for another hike, but I just laid around and watched TV. It wasn't until later that evening that I decided to get off the couch, but it was because I had to run out to the local town and get some things that we have forgotten. That's OK though, sometimes, you need days like that.

The day was capped off with a night of movie watching. Somehow, I was able to get the gang to sit through SAW III. I had to do a good deal of explaining because I was the only person who had already witness the first two installations of the film. It was OK thought, it helped me to stay on my toes.

The next morning was a blur. Up at the crack of dawn, we made the most incredible Korean pancakes, filled with scallops, shrimp and an assortment of other goodies.

After breakfast, we packed up and headed for the hills. This morning, we hiked 1/4 of a mile to Old man's Cave and the took a 2 mile hike to see Rose Lake, where there is a damn. It was pretty phenomenal. I took pics of it with my phone, but for the life of me have not figure out how to get them off my phone and onto the net so the pics on this post are generic ones I found from the Hocking Hills website.

So if you are looking for an excuse to get out of the city, this is a great place to go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Email the pics to your personal email and save them from there.

Oh, and Red River Gorge has it all over Hocking Hills! I make a day trip every spring to recharge my batteries.