Monday, May 15, 2006

A Dreamgirls Revival

Reading Keith Boykin's website, I was reminded that Dreamgirls, the movie, is soon to be released in the States. On Keith's website, it mentioned that a 20 minute clip is scheduled to be previews at this year's Cannes Film Festival this Friday.

I have always been a fan of the song, "And I'm Telling You", as performed by Jennifer Holiday, when Dreamgirls was a Broadway musical. Should I dare say that it is one of the top 5 in the list of my all time favorite songs.

Even with hearing Jennifer Holiday's rendition of this musical piece hundreds of times and knowing every lyric, I have never witnessed the entire musical and barley know the premise. So I did a little research and this is what I found.

Dreamgirls tells of the meteoric rise of a Supremes-like fictional girl group
"The Dreams" from a talent competition at New York's Apollo Theatre in the
early 1960's to international fame and fortune in the early 70's -- and all of
the personal ups and downs along the way. Nominated for a record 13 Tony awards,
glamorousourous Motown-esque feast for the eyes and ears is part pop concert,
part Las Vegas showroom, part Broadway musical, and part rock opera. A truly
spectacular celebration of show business!

The following is a clip of Ms. Holiday's perfomance of the song at the 1982 Tony Awards. If you look closely, you will find a young Sheryl Lee Ralph and Loretta DeVine as the other two members of the "Dreams"!

No comments: