Friday, August 11, 2006


As noted in some of my recent posts, I have spent sometime in the military. In fact, even though I enlisted in the US Army well after the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy went into effect, I remember sitting in front of the recruiting officer in 1996, and one of the initial questions that he asked me me was if I had ever had sexual relations with another male (I am pretty sure that is verbatim). Well, I did not lie to the officer, which is why I was able to enlist in the military, but as you can tell by my blog, we are not exactly routing for the same team.

This is why the issue of Gays in the military hits home everytime that it is brought up because I have seen lives destroyed and egos mangled because of it.

I used to be one of those shattered souls.

Which is why I was so glad when I read this article about a straight West Point student being awarded for his senior thesis discussing the matter. 24 yr old Alexander Raggio's senior thesis won the top award in the Art, Philosphy and Literature deparment in West Point's English department last year.

In his piece, he states his opposition to the ban of homosexuals being allowed to live their life as heterosexuals and goes on to say that he is not being insubordinate by stating the fact that it is wrong for the military to discriminate against homosexuals when it is against military regulations to discriminate because of race, religion and even sex (very marginally).

Didn't we already go through this?

I think that we are still a few years away from homosexuals being able to serve openly in the military. I would not be surprised if the government revisited its thoughts about segregating troops that they deemed un worthy of serving with regular troops.

I can just see it now. An all gay Army? I am pretty sure that I would consider re-enlisting if that was the case.

No comments: