Sunday, May 20, 2007

How To Write A Novel

If you clicked on to this post to find out the best way to write a novel and to get it published and make millions of dollars, that you are as out of luck as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

Last night I had a long conversation with a friend of mine who has recently been laid off from her job as a professor at one of the local universities here in the area. Luckily, she is still getting paid through the summer but she us going to have to begin looking for a new position fairly soon.

Due to her eclectic sense of cooking and her background in Anthropology and Sociology, I suggested that she use this time off to script a book of her favorite recipes, including anthropological.sociological anecdotes for each entry. I think it would be great. In my trying to convince her, she was a bit hesitant, citing my 5 year quest to complete my murder mystery. I made a pact with her to finish my novel if she took heed to this idea.

The only thing that I could get my friend to agree to was to think about it, which usually means that she has already disregarded the idea as a farce.

Keeping the latter end of the bargain, today, I have been editing the first several chapters of my murder mystery, over a hearty/delicious lunch at Kaldi's.

My goal is to have this novel completed by the end of this year.... I know, I know...most have heard this promise before, but a kid has got to dream...right?

No comments: