Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Nerve of Some Folk

Taking public transportation to and from work, affords me about 30min extra time during the day. Usually, I either work on a client's project or read. Currently I am in the middle of Dan Brown's Angels and Demons.


Every so often, during my daily commute, I get to eaves drop on other people's conversations. This morning, I was so distracted by the myriad of conversations around me, I could hardly concentrate on what was happening in the book.


I man, in his mid to late 30's got on the bus and sat in the seat just next to me. Cell phone to his ear, he started yelling at the person on the other end of the line, her name was Beulla, and calling her a fibber. There was a pause and just before the man was about to call Beulla something other than her name, he realized that he was on the bus and there there were others listening to his conversation, beside myself, and told her that he was on the bus and would call her back.

Drama!

After the cell phone man dis-continued his tirade, I was able to listen to the woman, sitting directly across from the driving and who stays in his ear all throughout the entire ride. I am not sure where she rides too, but she is on the bus before I get on and is there when my stop approaches.

Today, she was conversing about the local grocery chain Kroger and it's looming strike. I am paraphrasing, but the conversation when something like this:

Talking Lady: "Did you hear if Kroger went on strike?"

Bus Driver: "Naw, they did not go on strike. I think that the workers rejected the contract."

Talking Lady: "Ohh child! I am so glad they ain't going on strike cause I needs to buy my groceries" (Bus driver and those around her laugh) You know, buy me some collard green, some green beans, a few bottles of Colt 45... you know, the essentials. You know around where I live they ain't going on strike no way. They too worried about how they look. The ain't worried about sellin' no food. There was this one worker with this weave in her head that looked like a helmet. (more laughter) And I don't even want to talk about the men over in the deli. (in a low voice) But I will anyway. (all the listeners slightly lean toward the woman as she goes on) They all look like me. (there is a roar of disapproval, the loudest coming from the bus driver). They all have on those gloves that you clean the sink with, you know, the yellow ones. Then they have on plastic gloves over that. They have they hair all done up, with they little plastic caps, tryin' to look all cute.

I will stop here. The conversation was borderline harassment, but the Talking Lady and the bus driver both added disclaimer by saying "I don't judge them, but I just don't like being around them."

Now what kind of sense does that make? Don't try and hide behind word...say what you feel. If you want to express what you really feel, do not be afraid to say it.

I am just glad that they did not say what they really felt...I have to take that bus to work every morning.

No comments: